[SeasonOfDocs] Season of Docs/Good Docs Project meeting minutes 30/07/19

Jo Cook jo.k.cook at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 02:21:25 PDT 2019

Hi All,

Here are my vague minutes and actions from yesterday's call:

   -

   Plan to move to either mega google hangout or zoom. ACTION: ERIN to
   email for preferences for next call
   -

   CLA/DCO licensing agreements: Who do we expect to contribute and who do
   we want to encourage?
   -

      Big companies
      -

      More contributions from individuals- low barrier of entry
      -

      Likely to be people with significant domain knowledge but as we move
      forward should be easier for less experienced people
      -

      Meta-documentation should include screencast etc on how to contribute
      (eg get set up with github)
      -

      Many different options, inc cla-assistance (bot plugs into repo,
      streamlines process of signing CLA)
      - ACTION: CAMERON to propose vote on mailing list, preferably before
      Thursday for Jo to contribute
   -

   Github documentation- how to use github desktop and the web interface-
   going to be very valuable in the long term. Would need to be reviewed by
   total beginners to GitHub. ACTION: SANKET to start documenting this
   -

   Templates- where to put them? Need a repo on the GitHub. Erin has a
   large biblio and some draft templates, but these are not quite ready for
   use. ACTION: ERIN to start email thread about this
   -

   Sample doxsy (?) site- worth building?
   -

   Website pages- let’s get something up- ideally get a review process
   happening for commits. Cameron has made a start on some content. ACTION:
   CAMERON to send link to doc
   -

   Clarence- more than one template repo? Erin- examples of different types
   eg SAAS, API. Our best practice template, then links to other examples
   -

   Domains- buy thegooddocs.org and thegooddocs.dev, thegooddocsproject.org?
   Yes, but managed by same person (Jo at present). ACTION: JO to confirm by
   email
   -

   Discussions- currently using an osgeo mailing list, requirement is for
   hosted (let’s not maintain a server). Github discussions- not clear on
   archiving, google groups- probably OK but how long are things archived?
   Let’s discuss via email. ACTION: SANKET to do some research and start email
   thread discussing requirements.

I hope that covers everything. As a side note, I will not be around for
next week's call, and will unapologetically NOT be answering emails from at
least Friday through Wednesday while I'm away.

All the best

Jo