[SeasonOfDocs] TheGoodDocsProject: Templates repo proposal

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 13:06:34 PDT 2019

On 1/8/19 12:11 am, Clarence Cromwell wrote:
> +1
>
> What are the “types” of templates? That could mean that they’re sorted
> by use case or by exact  document (such as QuickStart).
For our master repository, where we focus on quality over quantity, I
believe we sort by document type (such as Quickstart).

> I’d suggest folders for each set of example templates (provided by
> contributors) so that end users can refer to the originals if they
> want to. They’ll also be worth preserving if we decide to revisit our
> official versions later on.

I suggest we additionally have a bunch of git branches, each branch can
focus on a use case, such as "Minimum Viable Docset for Mobile Apps".

In future we could potentially add all good use cases into a separate
product, a suite of best practice examples.

Erin, I suggest you initially put your templates into a "dev" or
"development" branch, which we can then ruthlessly
review/trim/refine/merge with something else/...

> Do we need more than one blessed template for any document type? Can
> we cover various use cases either by describing a different set of
> documents (a different minimum viable docset) or by flexibility within
> the template?

I think we should aim for one document per doctype, with flexibility
within the template. And that is what we produce for a release 1.0.

But I expect that over time we will discover reasons to have a few
documents per doctype. (Similar to Creative Commons having CC0, CC-By,
CC-By-SA, ...)

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jul 31, 2019, at 4:45 AM, Jared Morgan <jaredleonmorgan at gmail.com
> <mailto:jaredleonmorgan at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> This is going to be our "product" so it needs to attract it's own
>> repo stars and unique forks.
>>
>> On Wed., 31 Jul. 2019, 07:46 Erin McKean, <emckean at google.com
>> <mailto:emckean at google.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi folks!
>>
>>     As discussed in today's meeting, should we have a separate repo
>>     just for templates? This would be CC-0 licensed and the "how-to"
>>     documentation would link to it.
>>
>>     Structure TBD, but the general idea would be to have folders for
>>     types of templates and then 'blessed' examples for each use case.
>>
>>     E.g. for READMEs, the structure would be:
>>     -- Templates repo
>>       -- CONTRIBUTING.md
>>       -- LICENSE.md
>>       -- READMEs folder
>>           README.md (this is the blessed template)
>>           OTHER READMES folder (these would be other examples)
>>           README_README.md (the README for how to use the README
>>     template ...🤔 perhaps this wasn't a very clear example)
>>
>>     Please +1/-1/0 to show your approval, rejection, or 'meh'
>>     reactions before next week's meeting if possible?
>>
>>     Thanks!
>>
>>     Erin
>>
>>     --
>>     Erin McKean | Developer Relations Program Manager, Open Source
>>     Strategy |emckean at google.com <mailto:emckean at google.com> | she/her

Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254