[SeasonOfDocs] Hello, I'm Jared the Tech Writer

Jared Morgan jaredleonmorgan at gmail.com
Wed May 22 03:57:46 PDT 2019

Hey there folks

My name is Jared and I'm a volunteer Technical Writer.

Cameron has recruited me into the project to work with you all on solving
documentation contribution challenges and answer any other content
questions you may have.

To be clear, I'm not the writer assigned to the project as part of the
Google Season of Docs but an additional resource that will work with our
assigned Writer when the time comes.

I'm based in Brisbane and work for Credit Sense Australia full-time. I've
been working on analysing and defining how Credit Sense can move away from
Confluence as their client-facing docs solution towards a docs-as-code
toolchain. I've also been sorting out their rather large collection of
internal developer documentation in Confluence into templated spaces. It's
a large job for a single writer, but I'm just eating the elephant one
article at a time.

I've been writing documentation since about 2003, and have been around the
traps as far as industries go. I've worked across defence, aerospace,
telcos, commercial open source, gambling, and now finance. One industry
I've never worked in is the Geospatial industry. So this is a new
opportunity for me to learn some new tricks and get a taste of the
industry.

I'm looking forward to working with you to help new folks get started as
quickly as possible as contributors to the OSGeo project. I'm sure many of
you already have some great insights into the challenges faced when
starting out in a thriving Open Source project. I'm keen to hear all about
this aspect because you'd be surprised just how many folks want to
contribute to projects like OSGeo but just don't know where to start.

I'll be starting to look around the project's docs this week, and I can't
wait to see what you have created together.

Jared Morgan
M: +61413005479
Twitter <http://twitter.com/!#/jaredmorgs> | Facebook
<http://facebook.com/jaredmorgs> | LinkedIn