[SeasonOfDocs] Additional ideas for Google Season of Docs, written for QGIS, but some of the ideas are broader

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Wed May 22 06:27:41 PDT 2019

Hi all,

As a university faculty participant, I just posted the below on the Season
of Docs wiki page <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Season_of_Docs_Ideas_2019> under
QGIS, but the first bullet could apply more broadly. In the third bullet I
am asking the community whether anyone else is developing lab material
around Unmanned Aerial Systems data analysis. I'm actively building labs
for a course on this topic for people in natural resource management
fields. If anyone else is doing this as well, we might want to talk.

 -- Charlie Schweik, UMass Amherst

**********************************

   - Develop some modular "open educational resource" (OER) training
   material (e.g., lab exercises) that can be rapidly adopted by faculty in
   universities to help them with their courses. This could be especially
   helpful for new, junior faculty in geography, geosciences, or other fields
   where they are being asked to create and teach new course preparations in
   the early days of their career and also trying to build and develop their
   research programs. Having available open access material and available
   datasets for adoption could lead to rapid adoption. Once a faculty develops
   a first cut at a course, that content is often used for many years
   afterward. It would be useful to identify some standard courses that new
   faculty might be trying to build. A decision would need to be made on the
   correct Creative Commons license (I'd vote for CC BY-SA --
   Attribution-Share-Alike).

   - The Geoacademy group did this for several courses
   <http://spatialquerylab.com/foss4g-academy-curriculum/> and perhaps
   contacting them and seeing if that material can be updated (if needed), and
   made modular -- think buffet style for instructors to pick and choose labs
   for their courses -- could be a good set of content for a start.
   Introduction
   - Other, more advanced lab modules could be helpful too, particularly in
   areas such as advanced spatial analysis methods or new and quickly growing
   areas. I'm in the process of developing material for an Applications in
   Unmanned Aerial Systems course (geared toward use for environmental
   management). I have 5-6 labs and data already developed and they use QGIS.
   I'd welcome another collaborator on this in an effort to develop a
   specialized set of lab modules or an OSGeo published lab manual and data on
   UAS-based data analysis. -- Charlie Schweik

--
Charlie Schweik

Professor
Department of Environmental Conservation & School of Public Policy
University of Massachusetts, Amherst

Facebook: Charles.Schweik
Twitter: @cschweik