[SeasonOfDocs] How should we focus OSGeo training within SeasonOfDocs?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu May 23 05:57:30 PDT 2019

Hi Ori, (CCing OSGeo SeasonOfDocs with permission),

Yes, based on how things are shaping up, I'm reasonably comfortable that
we will be creating a method/framework/template/writing guide for
creating certain doc types - almost certainly covering training
material. I'm expecting Jared Morgan is going to be really helpful in
this regard, as he is deeply embedded in the WriteTheDocs community and
should be able to help us tap into great insights here.

I see us testing these on QGIS and GeoNetwork and OSGeoLive within the
SeasonOfDocs timeframe. People have volunteered to help with content
writing - although not to the volume required to create a course from
scratch. This is where we need to start talking about existing material
to draw upon.

Re "Protecting" material or not. This is a decision for you to make
internally. I feel that any material worked on in this project should be
developed under an Open License (probably CC-By-SA). I think you will
find that people are keen to volunteer to contribute to open material
but not to contribute to something that leads to a lock out situation.
Decision comes down to free content + get free labour, or lock down
content and pay for your own labour. More comprehensive description of
this business case is here:
http://cameronshorter.blogspot.com/2018/10/the-open-business-business-case.html

For the more nitty-gritty details about content to create, and who does
what and when, I'm looking for input from you folk actively involved in
GIS training to discuss this together. Don't be shy, do speak up.

Cheers, Cameron

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier