[SoC] Students are coming...

Cory Horner chorner at refractions.net
Tue Apr 10 16:26:09 EDT 2007

Sunburned Surveyor wrote:
> I have set up a wiki page to track the progress of each project on the
> milestones that Cory mentioned. You can find the wiki page here:
>
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/2007_Google_SoC_Project_Milestones
>
> At this time it only contains a sample. As the student slots are
> assigned I'd like to get a name for each of the student projects.
> Then I'll add an entry on the wiki page for each one. As the project
> completes each of the milestones listed they can let me know. I'll
> update the information, or they can update it themselves.
>
> Should we set a deadline for completion of these initial milestones?
> This might keep things moving and get our students an early start on
> their projects.

ASAP should be fine...

> What OSGeo mailing list do we want students to subscribe to? The regular
> OSGeo-Discuss list, or the OSGeo Summer of Code list?

1. The development mailing list for the project they are on
2. OSGeo-Discuss? (not sure if this is useful)
3. private students list (not sure if this is useful either -- a
non-public space for students to communicate amongst themselves without
mentors, alternatively, we could just give them each others' email
addresses)

We probably want to keep the osgeo soc list to mentors only.  Not
creating a student+mentor list would force students out into the open,
one would hope.

> I will offer to post student updates or project progress reports on my
> OpenJUMP blog, unless there is another "official" OSGeo blog that we can
> use.

Apparently google will announce its own student blog space soon... so we
*should* use that (since we want to draw traffic from the google summer
of code to osgeo).

> Let me know if you have suggestions for the project milestones page. I
> was going to set up a table, but couldn't figure out how to do that in
> this particular wiki editor.

It will look good in a table...

Cory.