[SoC] Parallelization of RST modules of GRASS GIS on GPU

Abhishek Shukla abhishek_shukla at students.iiit.ac.in
Mon Mar 15 12:09:39 EDT 2010

By what I understood about RST, I concluded that these two steps (after
performing segmentation) consume most of the time.

(1). Finding points from neighbouring segments so that the total number of
points for calculation of interpolation function is between some given
minimum and maximum.
(2). Creating and solving the system of linear equations using these points.

 First step is also affected by segmentation algorithm.

 Are steps which include "checking the interpolating function values at
given points" and "computing grid for each segment" also time
consuming ? (should not be , though)

Anyways, I hope all steps would get some improvement when we'll do it on
GPU.
Please inform me what I got correct and what I got wrong.
I have good understanding of GPU parallelization and I have got good
guidance on it in my university.

Most importantly , please inform me which steps are most time consuming ( in
v.surf.rst  & v.vol.rst ) so that I can concentrate on parallelizing those
steps.

---
Abhishek Shukla
Center for Security, Theory And Algorithm Research (CSTAR)
International Institute of Information Technology
Hyderabad
India
http://www.iiit.ac.in/