[SoC] Integration of GGL2 into gvSIG - Weekly report

Víctor González victorzinho at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 05:42:29 EDT 2011

Hello,

Sorry about the delay, but I just updated the wiki with the weekly report.
You can find all the info here:
http://trac3.xp-dev.com/ggl2/wiki/gvSIG_Integration#week4<http://trac3.xp-dev.com/ggl2/wiki/gvSIG_Integration#week1>

   - *What have I done?*
      - *Get layers from multiple GIS apps*: It is now possible to reference
      layers from different GIS applications. GGL2 connects to all the
available
      apps (listed in a properties file, updated when a new GIS
starts/stops) and
      gets the list of layers. These layers can be used in the
language as single
      variables, i.e. each layer is a different variable. The variable
name has a
      prefix to determine where it comes from. For example, if we want to use a
      *sample* layer from gvSIG, we should reference it this way:

   show gvSIG_sample select(a | buffer(a/the_geom, 100));

 The prefix is the same as used in the GIS definition (explained in the
previous report):

   gis gvSIG;

 and must match the name used by the GIS application to register itself in
the properties file.

 We considered some other possibilities to achieve this goal, but this was
fully functional and less bug prone due to its simplicity. However, there
may be other solutions, such as elements representing the GIS with layers as
children, that show more coherence from the user's point of view, so it can
be improved by the end of the development if there is time.

   - *What am I going to do now?*
      - *Create documentation for developers about the new grammar*: We need
      to document how a new GIS application can be declared in GGL2
and what needs
      to be done in order to connect to that GIS successfully.
Moreover, we need
      to explain how layers are included in GGL2 and how GIS apps
should implement
      their (future) plugins in order to return the list of layers
correctly, so
      they are included sucessfully as language variables.
      - *Create user documentation about the new or modified language
      constructions*: We need to document how the user can reference GIS
      layers from their code, as well as include the results in any of the
      available GIS apps.
      - *Test the developed artifacts*: Check what has been tested so far
      and write unit tests for the developments that have not been covered yet.
   - *Any blocking issue?* No

Best regards,
Víctor.