[SoC] GSoC'13 WR#1 – Hydrologically controlled landslides susceptibility tool for uDig

Marco Foi gsoc at mcfoi.it
Fri Jun 21 06:48:57 PDT 2013

Hi mates!

I’m Marco and am working on the development of a tool to assess
susceptibility of hydrologically controlled shallow landslides. The
software will be based on the Ph.D. Environmental Engineering thesis by
Lanni C. (2012) and will consist of a model available for use within
the uDig/JGrass Spatial Toolbox

These are the tasks I’ve been doing during this first week:

• What did I do this week?

- I studied the first three chapters of  the original work from Cristiano
Lanni to start filling my gay in the domain knowledge:
http://eprints-phd.biblio.unitn.it/779/
- Got a bit further by deeply reviewing the paper that specifically
addresses the algorithm to be developed into a tool.
http://eprints-phd.biblio.unitn.it/779/

• What will I be working on next week?

- Get a clear understanding of the scientific issue faced by the Ph.D
Thesis and start splitting it into sub-processes to be addressed by coding
sprints.
- Start matching algorithm implementation requirements with facilities
available in the development framework (data I/O, function for information
extraction, etc.)

• Did I meet with any stumbling blocks?

- Definitely the math used in the papers is not trivial so full
understanding of expressions was not achieved. This problem will be faced
with recursive study of involved concepts and refreshing of math knowledge.

Best regards,
Marco.