[SoC] GSoC - istSOS 2013 Weekly reports #2

Francesco Massa massa80 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 08:53:47 PDT 2013

Week #2

Hi there,

Work done in week 2

I made some test  with array data after I had modified istSOS model
database with arrays fields.

So I answered at questions:

   - Can I run any queries on the table with array fields? What is SQL
   syntax to make select, filter or join using array data?

Many queries can be made, even if data array is a complex data and SQL
syntax is just  a bit different: so I modified database model and I wrote
queries to extract data from array.

   - Can I extract array data using a SQL WHERE condition? (example:
   A=[1,2,3,4,5] X=3 is it possible to extract a new array B with the only
   elements of A in which A>X, B[4,5]?)

Yes, I can. I wrote something like that: SELECT A.s FROM (SELECT
generate_subscripts ('{1,2,3,4,5}'::int[], 1)  AS s) A WHERE s >3

So now I can still extract data as part of “profile” ( A=[1,2,3,4,5] X=3
--> B[4,5] )

   - How is XML model for the observations and measurements (OM) used and
   how could the profile data type fit into the XML model?

I’m merging the data profile type in istSOS package using a similar
definition of OM model in which profile data are the same of the single
measures in previously data model.

Work to be done in week 3

   -
   - SOS service creation and testing with WA

   - Importing some test data profiles into istSOS database (tab:
   measures_array)
   - Planning the development and starting the implementation of new python
   code to manage array data and merging in istSOS core.