[SoC] GSoC 13 WR 11 - Hydrologically controlled landslides susceptibility tool for uDig

Marco Foi gsoc at mcfoi.it
Sun Sep 1 07:27:32 PDT 2013

GSoC 13 WR 11 - Hydrologically controlled landslides susceptibility tool
for uDig

Hi mates!

I’m Marco and I am working on the development of a tool to assess
susceptibility of hydrologically controlled shallow landslides.
The software will be based on the Ph.D. Thesis in Environmental Engineering
by Lanni C. (2012) and will consist of a model available for use within the
uDig/JGrass Spatial Toolbox

These are the tasks I’ve been doing during this third week:

• What did I do this week?

- This week I did some progress along the main path. I could fix some bugs
in the earlier logic and end up by having the model compute Twt maps: maps
representing time to water table development for a number of rain-fall
event durations (default: 1,3,6,12,24 hours) and for the user provided set
of Return Times (e.g.: 10, 30,50,100,200 years).
I tried to do this allowing the user to always provide custom maps for
parameters like initial Psi at bedrock and soil thickness so to be able to
later extend the tool with more refined submodels.

• What will I be working on next week?

- I will keep implementing tool logic while updating test cases and keeping
notes on the tool wiki (
https://bitbucket.org/mcfoi/jgrasstool-cislam/issues ) about relevant
issues.

• Did I meet with any stumbling blocks?