[SoC] [OSGeo-Discuss] Google Summer of Code 2015

Cristiano Giovando cristiano.giovando at hotosm.org
Tue Feb 10 17:21:14 PST 2015

Fantastic! Let me know if you come up with any idea that could benefit
the Missing Maps project itself or OSM/OSGeo indirectly.

OAM has just (re)started and we're about to hire a couple of
developers for its development. It would be nice to have students join
is and work on specific plugins that would connect OAM with other open
source projects. One example would be to develop a QGIS plugin that
creates TMS-ready tiles or MBTiles and sends them directly to OAM
through the upload API.

With regards to the HOT/OSM version of OSGeo Live, I'm thinking
developing a customized version of the portable set of tools specific
to working with OSM data. This could be helpful for training, outreach
and field work.

"map rendering based on HOT data model": mostly enhancements to
https://github.com/hotosm/HDM-CartoCSS/

"mobile field application" I'm thinking about hacking Geopaparazzi
(https://github.com/geopaparazzi/geopaparazzi) for specific OSM/HOT
field tasks, or contributions to OpenMapKit
(http://www.knightfoundation.org/grants/201449229/)

I think the best way to define ideas is to contact developers directly
involved with those projects and ask them for specific needs. That way
we make sure that we also have potential mentors for the coding
period.

Cheers,

Cristiano