[SoC] GSoC 2017- Week 7 Report - Integration of Bikeshare Information into an Open-source Transportation App

Rodrigo Carvalho carvalhorr at gmail.com
Sun Jul 16 01:50:56 PDT 2017

Dear all,

This is my progress report for week 7. You can follow my work on the
project in the main repository [1] and the Work In Progress Pull-Request
[2] to merge to the main repository. We are also keeping the progress
information updated in the issue that originated the project in [3].

*Week 6 (July 10 - July 16)*
*1. What do I have completed this week?*

   - Gracefully handle regions that don't have bikeshare information
   enabled on the server. In order to do this a few changes had to be made:
      - Include the field suppostsOtpBikeshare on the regions API
      - Change the app to only show the option to show the bikeshare layer
      if bikeshare is supported on the server
      - Include an option in the preferences window to let users decide if
      they want to see the bike layer option if it is supported by the server
   - Included analytics to track user interaction with bikeshare. Actions
   tracked:
      - Bikeshare is activated/deactivated in the preference window
      - Bikeshare layer is activated/deactivated on the map
      - A bike station or floating bike marker is touched
   - Changed bike markers to display different sizes depending on the map
   zoom
      - No markers are displayed at zoom level below 12
      - Small circle is displayed at zoom level between 12 and 15
      - Full marker is displayed at zoom level above 15
   - Refactored the code that handles requests to retrieve bikeshare to
   follow the same patterns as other requests in the app
   - Created unit test for bikeshare request
   - Created different info windows for bike markers depending if it is a
   floating bike or bike station
   - Studied Amazon AWS and deployed OTP server with GBFS support docker
   image to Amazon EC2. This will allow others to test the work in progress
   without the need to run the OTP server locally and facilitate my tests. The
   bikeshare endpoint for the Tampa region on the EC2 development server can
   be found in [4].

*2. What am I going to achieve for next week?*

   - Start working on the next task (Add bike as an option for on trip
   planning). I had planned to do this before, but could not finish everything
   else.

*3. Is there any blocking issue?*

   - No blocking issues

*4. Links*[1] https://github.com/carvalhorr/onebusaway-android/tree/gbfs