[SoC] GSoC 2019 - Community Bonding Report - Porting MapMint 2.x to 3.x

Fenil Mehta fenilgmehta at gmail.com
Mon May 27 19:25:34 PDT 2019

Hi everyone,

The community bonding period was a great experience.

Following is the report for the community bonding period answering the
questions asked [1].

1. I started by introducing myself on the community mailing list and shared
the details of my proposal, requesting for comments and feedback on the
project.
2. I read Google's GSoC students guide [2] and OSGeo's specific
instructions [3].
3. The source code is published at GitHub.
4. The source code from GitHub has been forked and I would be working on
this forked repository during the coding period.
5. I got the writing access to OSGeo wiki and edited all the info related
to my project on the OSGeo wiki page for accepted students.
6. I have created my wiki page on the OSGeo wiki and GitHub wiki page and
added all the project details to keep track of my GSoC progress.
7. I communicated with the mentors regularly during the Community bonding
period via the MapMint Slack workspace, e-mail and Skype.
8. GitHub would be used for bug reporting and tracking
9. Issue can be raised on the GitHub repository. And bugs can be discussed
on the Slack workspace too.
10. Programming environment has been setup for my project.
11. While I was going through the source code, I found a bug which would
lead to syntactical error. I fixed it in the forked repository and applied
for a pull request for the bug fix. The PR merging is still in progress.
12. After discussing with the mentors, it was decided that I have to
regularly commit the changes I make to my forked repository and make a pull
request only after successful completion of testing after the porting is
over.
13. I have gone through the source code and noted the necessary information
to support the coding phase.

The link to my wiki pages are mentioned below [4] [5].

[1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/soc/2019-May/004240.html
[2]
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_Recommendations_for_Students
[3] https://flossmanuals.net/GSoCStudentGuide/
[4] OSGeo wiki - GSoC 2019 Porting MapMint from Python2 to Python3
<https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GSoC_2019_Porting_MapMint_from_Python2_to_Python3>
[5] GitHub - GSoC 2019 porting python 2.7.x to 3.x ยท fenilgmehta/mapmint
Wiki
<https://github.com/fenilgmehta/mapmint/wiki/GSoC-2019---porting-python-2.7.x-to-3.x>

Regards,
Fenil Mehta