[SoC] Week 12 report: Creation of a new GRASS GIS startup mechanism

L.Kladivova L.Kladivova at seznam.cz
Sat Aug 22 06:59:15 PDT 2020

Hello Community,

I am sending my last weekly report for Week 12 (August 17-August 23). The
report can also be found in the project wiki: https://trac.osgeo.org/…dow
(https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2020/StartupWindow) . Next week, a
more detailed final report will be added to this page including the state of
the art before GSoC, the state after GSoC as well as the comprehensive
comparison of the old and new GRASS GIS startup mechanism using several
screenshots.

1) What did I complete this week?

I finished implementing three very important PRs. Firstly, I aimed at the
start in Demo Location (see ​https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/862
(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/862), ​https://github.com/OSGeo/
grass/pull/868(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/868)). Now, when starting
GRASS GIS the startup screen can be skipped. It happens in two cases -
either when a user is a first-time user (then the Demo Location with startup
mapset is offered) or the last used mapset is valid. In those cases, we can
directly jump into GRASS GIS particularly to the Data Catalog which is now
the core of the whole software. Secondly, I made checking functions that
check mapsets, locations and GRASS databases when renaming and deleting in
Data Catalog (see ​https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/801
(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/801), ​https://github.com/OSGeo/
grass/pull/904(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/904)). It is not allowed
to delete current database, location, and mapset, permanent mapset, mapset
owned by a different user, or mapset which is "in use". Thirdly, we needed
to have an option on how to remove the lock (how to open up mapsets "in
use"). When switching to the mapset that is "in use", we can select if we
want to stay in the current mapset or switch to selected mapset. So, we can
force the removal of the lock and switch to the mapset anyway (see ​https://
github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/898(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/898)
, ​https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/906
(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/906)). Furthermore, I corrected the bug
when multiple grass databases context menu shows Delete locations (see ​
https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/913
(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/913), ​https://github.com/OSGeo/
grass/pull/914(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/914)).

Currently, there are two PRs which are almost done:

   * Reflect changes when mapset/location is created from menu (​https://
   github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/916(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/916))

This PR solves the case when mapset/location is created from menu.

   * Add direct editing of mapset and location name and editing layer name
   in other mapsets should be possible even when the restricted mode is on (
   ​https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/920
   (https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/920), ​https://github.com/OSGeo/
   grass/issues/918(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/918), ​https://
   github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/917
   (https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/917))

Currently, we can rename the map by selecting it and clicking at it again,
which opens an editing window (like in any file manager). This should work
also for mapsets and locations. It should take into account if the
restricted mode is on or off. The second thing is that in Data Catalog when
we select a map in other mapset and click on it a second time to open
editing window, we can rename it even when the restricted mode is on. This
should not be permitted.

2) What am I going to achieve for next week?

I am gonna write the final report that will sum up STATE BEFORE GSoC 2020
and STATE AFTER GSoC 2020. The main part of the work is done, but there are
a few things that are still ahead of us. I will mention them in the Final
Report.

3) Is there any blocking issue?
No, it is not.

Any suggestions are welcome.