[SoC] GSoC 2020 - Coding Period Week 5 Report
gb_nedjima at esi.dz
Sun Jul 5 06:07:49 PDT 2020
During the fifth week of the summer of code I made a lot of progress
implementing the 3D scenes export feature. Here is my report for the week:
- Tasks done:
- Got exporting the vector layer data working.
- Saw how the flat terrain is generated and how the level of details
- Exported visible terrain tiles by taking the Qt3DRender::QAttribute
objects directly and parsing the data.
- Exported invisible terrain tiles by generating geometries manually.
- Exported DEM terrain tiles (I had some troubles with non square
height maps giving me wrong values but I eventually fixed the problem).
- Discovered smooth edges parameter in the wavefront .obj standard
and implemented it (I'm following this very useful spec obj-spec
- Gave the user the ability to choose at which level of details he
wants to export.
- Made initial UI and classes for the scene export settings.
- Switched from the user specifying the level of details to
specifying the resolution of the terrain (more predictable in terms of
loading speed and vertex count).
- Made a separate class named Qgs3DExportObject that will handle the
object name and various 3D data (to handle absence of texture coordinates
data in a better way in the future).
- Gave each object in the scene it's own object name in the .obj file
so that blender users can edit the scene in a better way.
- Documented the code and made a draft pull request that you can find
- Discussed what I implemented with mentors.
- DEM terrain inside QGIS: https://imgur.com/aZl0E03
- Exported DEM terrain (smoothing option to the left):
- Exported vector layer with a flat terrain: https://imgur.com/LWBtHqf
- Tasks to be done:
- Export other types of layers (mesh layers, 3D symbol layers...).
- Handle exporting of normals.
- Handle exporting of texture coordinates.
- Export textures as displayed in the scene to an image file.
- Manage material file (.mtl) construction.
- Blocking issues: Not really a blocking issue but I wanted to do export
scene hierarchy in the .obj file but that didn't seem to work in
Any suggestion or feedback is always welcome.
4th year computer science and engineering student.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the SoC