[SoC] Instructions for Packaging your Work and Final Submission Guidelines: Final Evaluation open Aug 21 - Aug 28, 18:00 UTC

Ashish Kumar ashishkr23438 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 11:15:00 PDT 2023

Dear OSGeo GSoC Contributors,

*This email is very long, so please read it carefully as it contains vital
information to help you package your GSoC program work.*

The final evaluation and code submission deadline is approaching. The
submission dashboard is now active and will remain accessible until August
28, 18:00 UTC. By now, you should have received an email from the GSoC
Admins team regarding this important step. As indicated in the official
GSoC 2023 timeline [1]:

*Final week: GSoC contributors submit their final work product and their
> final mentor evaluation (standard coding period): August 21 - August 28,
> 18:00 UTC**.*

Given that all projects adhered to the standard 12-week length, the
mentioned dates are applicable to everyone. We extend our admiration to
each contributor for completing their projects within the standard duration.

We hope that you enjoyed coding with OSGeo, and we are sure that you've
gained valuable insights from your mentors and the vibrant OSGeo
community. Your
perseverance is truly commendable, a testament to the adage, *"When the
going gets tough, the tough get going". *We are sure that you all must have
your great stories associated with GSoC 2023. As we approach the finish
line, it's time to focus on wrapping up and packaging your project for the
final submission.

According to Google [2], the basic requirements for code submissions are:

   - It must be easy to identify the work you have done. (i.e. the changes
   you made or new code.)
      - When someone goes to the provided URL it should be clear what work
      you did without requiring them to do significant additional digging.

   - It should be in a stable location. The URL cannot be changed after
   submission.

   - Someone else should be able to use the content at (or referenced from)
   the target of the link to extend your work.
      - If your work is 100% complete, they should be able to use it.
      - If your work is not 100% complete, it should be clear what's left
      to do.

Furthermore, your final report must be shared with the SoC mailing list.
The report should have the following:

1. *Title and Organization*: Specify your project title and the software
community it belongs to (for hybrid projects indicate all the software
involved).
*Note: If the title has changed over the due course of the project, then
update it on the Dashboard and use the final updated title in the report.*

2. *Abstract*: Present an overview of the project, its motivation,
challenges, etc.

3. *The state of the art before GSoC:* Describe the software's state before
your involvement. For instance, if you introduced a GUI in some tool,
explain how manual editing was necessary in the past.

4. *The addition (added value) that your project brought to the
software:* Elaborate
on the enhancement your project made to the software. Using the
aforementioned GUI example, you can explain how it simplifies using the
tool through the GUI that you made.

5. *Potential Future Work*: If your project requires further development,
outline the remaining work. You can also share highlights or challenging
pieces.

6. *Links*: Add all the permanent links to access the code,
documentation(s), pull requests, wiki pages, etc., that facilitate others
in testing your application - "Please test my code following the
instructions here...". Ensure that the pull request description is
detailed. If the pull request is going to have more work done after GSoC is
over, make sure the last GSoC commit is noted.
*Note: Don’t forget to test that the links are working and do not require
special access permissions!*

7. *Image*: Incorporate atleast a graphical image that can show the main
elements of your project. It could be a flow chart, a screenshot, both, or
whatever you think could serve the purpose.
*Remember that the aim is to showcase your project to people that are not
necessarily familiar with the software. The image must be uploaded to a
public repository, web page, or wiki page, **with its link included in your
report.*

8. *Media (Optional)*: You can add links to videos, blog posts, etc. that
you have created. We warmly encourage this as it brings immense
satisfaction to witness your work come to life and to engage with your
insights through blog posts and other content in the future.

The report must be included as text inside your email (not as a separate
attached document, not as a link to an external document). Remember to add
the link of your project wiki page in the report and also add
the final report in your wiki page.

In order to comply with Google’s requirement of *a report in a stable
location*, you can check with your mentors for a suitable URL. For
instance, this could be a permanent wiki page that you maintained
throughout the program. Alternatively, you can submit your final report's
URL from the SoC Archives [3] as the stable link in your final submission
in the dashboard.

To summarize, you must submit the following *before August 28, 18:00 UTC*:

   1. Final report email to the SoC mailing list (based on the above
   template), and
   2. Final mentor evaluations (with the submission URL) on the GSoC
   dashboard.

Avoid last-minute submissions on August 28, as this is a *hard deadline*,
and *f**ailure to submit evaluations properly may result in failing the
program*. Once you make the final work submission on the dashboard, you can
edit it until the deadline. Hence we recommend doing it as soon as possible
because any improvements can be made later on. The URL you submit will be
available on the GSoC public archive site [4], so you should want it to
represent the work you did this summer.

For sample past submissions, please refer this: Final report mail [5], and
GSoC dashboard submission with URL [6].

Feel free to reach out to mentors or the mailing list for queries. We want
to see you as a lifetime contributor and supporter of the project you
worked on!

All the best!

Kind regards,
Your OSGeo GSoC Admins.