[OSGeo-Standards] OWS-5 Agile Geography - KML 3 (more open than most)

Lorenzo Becchi lorenzo at ominiverdi.com
Thu Aug 23 05:39:04 EDT 2007

Andrew thanks, Raj is right, your answer is clear and opens to a good
discussion.

I have to say that things are growing faster then what I was expecting:
this year I was supposed to dive into WMS & SLD & WMC, adapt some
already stable FOSS server apps with the help of my working group and
hopefully see our changes integrated in future release of these standards.
Next year the same stuff for WFS, WPS  and probably CSW.

I fit the "Developer" "persona". While I'm a lurker for all other standards.

Now things are getting much more complicated.
KML is coming out and the future of WMS/WFS/SLD/WMC is uncertain. This
is not really a problem for me but I'll be pleased if we'll have a clear
idea of what will happen in the future.
I mean:
- does it make sense to expect that at least WMS can see a version 1.4
with SLD once again on and some minimum retouch integrated (es: those
integration I was suggesting)?
- how long will WMS/WFS/SLD/WMC survive before KML will be adopted by
main FOSS implementations (es: GeoServer/OpenLayers) ?
- does it make sense to think that adopting the future KML will be the
natural end of WMS/SLD/WMC/WFS?

now I guess we should split the thread into technical issues (es: CSS
for KML styling) and theoretical issues (es: OGC -> OSGeo || OSGeo -> OGC)

ciao
Lorenzo