[OSGeo-Standards] Re: [tiling] OGC Tiled WMS Discussion Paper

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Tue Sep 18 14:41:45 EDT 2007

On Fri, September 7, 2007 18:29, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Where would we get a copy to comment? I don't see it here
> http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/dp
>

> P.

Hi,
the paper has been recommended to the TC as a discussion paper. If TC
approves (it usually does, that is more of a rubber stamping process) it
will be published publicly after it has been legally double checked by OGC
staff. This might take awhile depending on workload, I requested be
notified personally and will let this group know.

In the past people have not cared to discuss any public OGC discussion
papers a lot. Therefore the process is not clearly defined by OGC - there
simply was no need to do so.

This might be due to nobody knowing (outside), nobody caring (inside) or
everybody ("we") being wrong about what everybody ("we") want. But it is
water under the bridge trying to find out who was more wrong, lazy,
protective or whatective. Once this paper is out officially we can
actually try to change this and get a process going.

Best regards,

> Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>

>> I was contacted by Edric Keighan about a discussion paper that was
>> recently submitted to OGC (with Cubewerx as the editor) titled:
>>
>> 07-057r2 OpenGIS Tiled WMS Discussion Paper
>>

>> I believe it is roughly comparible in goals to this work:
>>

>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/WMS_Tile_Caching
>>

>> I believe Edric is interested in feedback on the paper and support for
>> the proposal (for those of us who are OGC members) and perhaps more
>> importantly he is interested in implementations of the specification
>> within our projects with OpenLayers being the most obvious candidate.
>>
>> I believe he has also contacted Cameron Shorter who is an OGC member
>> and who is directly involved with OpenLayers.  I'm hoping that Cameron
>> will review the paper and perhaps compare and contrast with the WMS Tile
>> Caching
>> spec at:
>>
>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/WMS_Tile_Caching
>>

>> I haven't been to involved in the tiling spec in the past, so I'm going
>> to mostly back out of this discussion now, but I wanted to ensure
>> everyone is aware of what is going on, and that we open up some
>> discussion.
>>
>> Anyone wanting to contact Edric can do so at the email in the cc:.
>>

>> Best regards,
>>

> --
>

> Paul Ramsey
> Refractions Research