[OSGeo-Standards] [Board] Status of the 10 OGC slots for OSGeo members

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Thu Sep 13 04:04:15 PDT 2012

On 12-09-13 5:17 AM, Arnulf Christl wrote:
> But none of this answers my original question which tried to find
> out what we can do to improve joint activities with the OGC.
> Apparently the Individual Members slots don't do the trick. There
> is some cross-over through the regular OGC membership but it has
> already taken place before our MoU. So I am still open for
> suggestions.

Hello Arnulf,

I think I can shed some light here on some very possible reasons.

I have been one of the lucky ones to receive an "Individual" OGC
member slot.  I have a strong knowledge of OGC standards and issues,
and I want to be involved.  However, from my experience most of the
action occurs at the OGC Technical Meeting events.  These events are
held at various locations around the world.  Here is my point: it is
difficult as an individual (i.e. not a member of a larger organization
with a larger travel budget) to attend these meetings in person.

I know, there are ways to contribute other than these TC meetings; but
I need to at least introduce myself in person once a year (think of
FOSS4G) to feel a member of a community.  Lacking this, I feel very
disconnected.

So, if OSGeo and OGC want to really improve joint activities, together
we (OSGeo and OGC) should contribute resources to fund one or two
individual members to attend an OGC TC event per year.  We could
rotate these trips between members, and a requirement for an
individual to attend could be a report submitted to the OSGeo Board on
return from the TC.

-jeff

(response sent only to one mailing list, trying not to cross-post)