[OSGeo-Standards] [OSGeo-Discuss] OGC liaison memberships

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Fri Jun 7 06:30:42 PDT 2013

On 2013-06-07 10:12 AM, Adrian Custer wrote:

> Hey Jeff,
>
> Thanks for the encouragement.
>
> Unfortunately, as I told you in Buenos Aires, your perspective reveals
> the fundamental disconnect built into the fabric of OSGeo. To you and
> all the 'in' crowd, everything feels fine and dandy with all the two
> tier systems at OSGeo: 'charter members' and 'non-charter members',
> 'OSGeo projects' and 'non-OSGeo projects'.
>
> Those of us on the outside perhaps see more clearly the weaknesses and
> issues with this multi-tier, exclusionary setup.

Hi Adrian,

OSGeo's 'in crowd' is anyone who volunteers their time to grow the
community.  This includes you.  You are known in the OSGeo community as
much as anyone else.  You have a voice.  Everyone is listening.

Maybe instead of pointing out the problems, you can help make the
changes needed.  (my experience in this community is that it is always
much easier to critique work already done, but most will not actually
sit down through the long process of making changes and following
through)  Prove me wrong on this please.

-jeff