[Tilecache] Symbol image transparency problem

Marco Nijdam marco at west.nl
Tue Aug 10 08:57:42 EDT 2010

Dear Jez,

In your config files, I do not see the underlying topographic layer you
had in your original screen capture.
If you tilecache only the symbols, and the format would not be PNG,
I would expect the background topo layer to be completely hidden.
Since the problem you originally showed was the symbols only to be
non-transparent, but not the room between the symbols,
I'm not sure if we have the complete solution.

Based on the config files you provided, I agree with Jess you need to add
"extension=png" to you tilecache.cfg, in the [ipmap] section.

You also need to request the tiles as PNG, by specifying the format
in the OpenLayers.Layers.WMS constructor, as part of the list of
options in the third argument. So

    layer = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS("Map",
                                  urls,
                                  {
                                    layers: 'ipmap',
                                    format: 'image/png'
                                  });

Finally you need to remove all existing tiles, to make sure they are
properly generated.

Kind regards,
--
-- Marco Nijdam