[Ubuntu] Saga GIS packaging

Johan Van de Wauw johan.vandewauw at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 15:41:12 PDT 2013

(updated the header to split this discussion off)

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 9:07 PM, Pedro Venâncio
<pedrongvenancio at yahoo.com>wrote:

> Hi Johan,
>
> As you know, we have the problem described here
> http://hub.qgis.org/issues/8289 with SAGA 2.1.0 from your PPA.

This is a bug in sextante, I've clarified this again in the bugtracker.

> Additionally, at this time, we have no repository with the SAGA 2.0.8 for
> the latest LTS release, as discussed in the QGIS mailing list:
> http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/sextante-amp-saga-td5069210.html

> In ubuntugis-stable we have SAGA 2.0.4 and 2.0.7 for very old Ubuntu
> versions. In ubuntugis-unstable the situation is similar.
>
> It seems to me that, failing to include SAGA 2.1.0, at least SAGA 2.0.8
> should be included in ubuntugis for the various Ubuntu versions.

Ok, i'll fix this. I thought 2.0.8  was there for 12.04 already. Someone
should have told me earlier it was missing. I got confused by all these
ubuntu releases. Note that from 12.10 saga is in universe (ie ubuntu
itself), so adding it again to ubuntugis is not necessary[*], which is the
reason I stopped making updates.

[*] In fact adding saga could be considered to make sure that it is build
against eg a newer version of gdal, but it will not change saga's core
functionality.