[Ubuntu] MOTION: Bring UbuntuGIS stable in sync with OSGeoLive

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Mon Jul 15 02:22:06 PDT 2013

Hi,

sorry for my ignorance about UbuntuGIS and OSGeoLive.  My roots are deep
into Debian and I simply had no time to investigate how OSGeoLive and
UbuntuGIS are build / structured.  I'm also not that deep into GIS but
rather try to share my experience from the field of biology / medicine
where at least from the point of package workflow from Debian to its
derivatives some lessons might be interesting to read.  There is an
Ubuntu Derivative called BioLinux[1] (in analogy to OSGeo) which
basically is using software that is just packaged inside Debian by the
Debian Med Blend[2].  Formerly they worked quite independently from
Debian but since two years we managed to form a close connection and
BioLinux people now commit straight to the packaging VCS where Debian
maintainers grab the packages, upload to Debian and BioLinux is more or
less relying onto the automatic propagation of packages from Debian to
Ubuntu.  This "fix a problem at the root" approach has turned out to be
reliable and sustainable and I would like you to make you aware about
this option.  I admit that this would require a strong team at Debian
GIS side to cope with the potential workload but I hope to be able to
help a bit with my "Sponsering of Blends"[3] offer which is finally
valid for Debian GIS.

Feel free to ask me for more details in case I did not managed to
explain what analogy I see and in how far we could strengthen
cooperation between involved parties.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

[1] http://nebc.nerc.ac.uk/