[Ubuntu] OSGeo Google Summer of Code: Packaging project

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 15:37:27 PDT 2014

Hi Jerome,
I'm moving this email thread to the Ubuntu GIS email list. (I assume all
CCed would already be on this list?)

On 25/04/2014 12:03 am, Jerome Villeneuve Larouche wrote:
> Hello to all of you, it's really fun to see everyone interested in the
> project.
>
> I'm currently in my last week of University so I don't have a lot of
> time, which explains the delay.
That's fine, feel free to continue this email thread in a week or so
when study has finished.

> 1. For the mailing list, maybe the UbuntuGIS mailing could be used?
Ok, now CCed.

> 2. Once again, I suppose the UbuntuGIS wiki could work?
Your call as to which wiki you wish to use. Once you start, I suggest
copying across any relevant material, and letting others know where it is.
Of particular note, I'm very much hoping that one of the outcomes for
this project will be guidelines for java packaging, which we will
include, or reference from our OSGeo-Live wiki.

> 3. I could start working on Java packaging earlier. I still want to
> update UbuntuGIS first since it's been a while. Once it's done I could
> start looking into Java while pushing things on Stable.
Lets discuss this with mentors and yourself once we officially start,
probably in an IRC session.

> 4. Daniel and me are in Chicoutimi, Québec so EDT. I remember from
> last year that the OSGeoLive meeting was fitting for me.
OSGeo-Live meeting is currently at:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?hour=20&min=30&sec=0&p1=179&p2=189&p3=224&p4=22&p5=240&p6=196&p7=215

Location 	Local time 	Time zone 	UTC offset
New York <http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=179>(U.S.A.
- New York) 	Thursday, 24 April 2014 at 4:30:00 PM 	EDT
<http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/na/edt.html> 	UTC-4
hours
Québec <http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=189>(Canada -
Quebec) 	Thursday, 24 April 2014 at 4:30:00 PM 	EDT
<http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/na/edt.html> 	UTC-4
hours
San Francisco
<http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/usa/san-francisco>(U.S.A. -
California) 	Thursday, 24 April 2014 at 1:30:00 PM 	PDT
<http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/na/pdt.html> 	UTC-7
hours
Auckland
<http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/new-zealand/auckland>(New
Zealand) 	Friday, 25 April 2014 at 8:30:00 AM 	NZST
<http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/pacific/nzst.html>
	UTC+12 hours
Sydney <http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=240>(Australia
- New South Wales) 	Friday, 25 April 2014 at 6:30:00 AM 	AEST
<http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/au/est.html> 	UTC+10
hours
Perth <http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/australia/perth>(Australia
- Western Australia) 	Friday, 25 April 2014 at 4:30:00 AM 	AWST
<http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/au/wst.html> 	UTC+8
hours
Rome <http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=215>(Italy)
Thursday, 24 April 2014 at 10:30:00 PM 	CEST
<http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/eu/cest.html>
UTC+2 hours
Corresponding UTC (GMT) 	Thursday, 24 April 2014 at 20:30:00
<http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20140424T2030>

This will likely be a challenge for Ben in Perth, (who is a key person
to help with java packaging). Maybe slip the meeting timeslot to 1.5 hrs
later? Ben, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on timeslots that
you can make.

> Once again, thank you for mentoring me!
You are welcome. Thanks for doing the work.

--
Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager