[Ubuntu] Packaging osm2pgsql releases

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Wed Oct 21 13:30:40 PDT 2015

On 10/19/2015 10:51 AM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> I'd like the OpenStreetMap community to also benefit from the better
> maintenance of the Debian packaging for their software, but the OSM
> community has standardized on Ubuntu LTS so they cannot benefit from
> improved situation in Debian directly (e.g. using the backports),
> UbuntuGIS is an obvious choice to service this need for Ubuntu LTS users.

I wouldn't say we've standardized on Ubuntu LTS so much as we consider
having a recent version packaged for it is important, just like Homebrew
for OS X[1]. Neither myself nor the other maintainer use Ubuntu as our
main development environment, and one of us uses Debian. The issue is a
common response to tickets is to tell someone to use a more recent
version, and having to tell people they need to build from source is a
complication I'd like to avoid when writing documentation.

With the possible exception of nightly dev builds, I don't want to
package osm2pgsql, but I will if no one else does.

I didn't initially consider UbuntuGIS because the PPA seems inactive,
with 1 package uploaded this year.

[1]: https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/pull/42663