[OSGeo-UK] Question: Should we set up as an organisation?

Joanne Cook j.cook at oxfordarch.co.uk
Thu Oct 22 11:33:34 EDT 2009

Dear All,

As you might recall from the AGM we held back in June after the conference in Nottingham, I raised the question of whether we should set up as a some kind of organisation, so we can start having a bank account and similar. Having looked into this into a little more detail (mainly because this kind of thing is very new to me), I think that in the first instance an "Unincorporated Association" is the best bet, of which "voluntary organisation" is a subset. Here's the official definition: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/ctmanual/ctm41305.htm, and some useful information: http://www.netlawman.co.uk/info/unincorporated-associations.php

That way, we can have a bank account but the rest can be quite informal, which is nice. We will, however, need to get a few more committee members etc, even if it's just to be joint signatories on the bank account :-)

I'm opening this up to everyone on the mailing list- is this a good way to go? Are there better ways?

Thanks

Jo

Joanne Cook
Senior IT Support and Development