[Web Comm] Need a couple more profiles

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Sun Apr 2 13:41:30 EDT 2006

Jody Garnett wrote:
> I have updated the profiles to include expected workflow in all cases.
>
> I note that some suggestions have been made at the bottom with respect to:
>>
>>     * Segmentation:
>>           o Education
>>           o Government (small, large)
>>           o Service Provider
>>           o Solution Developer
>>
>>     * Convincers:
>>           o Community profiles (profiles of individuals activel in
>>             open source geo)
>>           o Project profiles (with lots of pretty screenshots)
>>           o Sucess stories (these are big; need to show sucessful
>>             implementations)
>>
> I will need an example user for each of these above segments, and I will
> keep the convincers in mind when establishing a realistic work flow for
> them.
> I do need a bit more information about the needs here in order to
> continue, if someone has time to talk about this on IRC (or via these
> emails) please step in.
>
> But that never quite cuts it - lets start with a working assumption and
> you guys can correct me:
>
> Education: we already have Sarah (undergrad)
> - Sebastien (graduate student): is starting research into his thesis and
> wants a platform to base the work on
>
> Government: will base this off of the needs mentioned in the Miles
> seminar or Eogeo
> - Dave: setting up a gis system for a state in Australia
> - Mary: doing volunteer work in Africa, has some documents left behind
> from Chris Holmes's tour

  - Mr. S. Inister: works at a state ministry and has an important(!)
and strategic(!) failover proof(!) fallback system(!) solution running
in a proprietary environment. He is trying to get a hold of whether he
can trust this Open Source stuff to run reliably with all those
exclamation marks. (and help him spare quadrupling license costs simply
for serving the data via web). Oh, he is interested in SLA too.

> Service Provider: huh?
> - Martha: ??? what is needed here - I have no working assumption.
Martha is an MCSE and has been told that she must do second level
support for the OSGeo stack that her colleagues have installed (and
th4en went for holidays). She has to learn that she can get first level
support for free through the user mailing lists and null level support
directly from the developers (or lower level service providers) for
cash. This is another place to start discussing SLA.

> Solution Developer: have both George and Lui
>
> I am also really short "Developers", I suspect we want them to be happy
> as well? I understand a user focus but ....
> - Chris: established developer on geotools, wants to know where
> everything went
> - Adrian: really wants to get working but cannot make sense of the
> documentation spread across 5 standards, three projects and apparently
> communicated via Zen.

lol.

Well, Arnulf (resemblance to existing users is not intentional) might
want to join the OSGeo Zen meditation group if it helps communication.
Where should he go?

I think that the developers are those we have to worry the least about.
Adrian will (and should) molest us if he doesn't find out where to go.
In the end this is a dev-list, aint it?