FW: Chinese and Japanese localisations of the MapGuide project site

Auke Jilderda auke at collab.net
Thu Aug 3 04:23:31 EDT 2006

FYI, so the web committee has the context information about this
localisation thread: I forward my summary of a conference call with a
number of people who are to provide translated content for the MapGuide
project.  In the call, I outlined and demonstrated how the localisation
mechanism works.

If the web committee is ok with parts of the site wide content also
being
translated, these people will probably need to have write access to the
www project repository (or work through somebody in the web committee to
submit their translated files).

Auke

On 19 July 2006 13:21, Auke Jilderda wrote:

> Ladies and gentlemen,
>
> thank you for attending the webex & telcon about how localisation
works.
> Below, I'll summarise what steps you will need to take.
>

> OSGeo.org supports multiple languages, both for site wide content
(such
> as menus and online help) and project specific content (such as the
> project summary page).  The content is automatically displayed in the
> language that you selected in your browser.  The site wide content is
> standard provided in all 5 languages.  A project needs to create and
> maintain its specific content and their translations itself.
>

>  1.   Proposed approach
>       =================
>       I suggest we grant the translators the "Documentation Developer"
>       role in the MapGuide project.  This gives them read access to
the
>       repository and read-write access to the www subtree in the
>       repository.
>

>  2.   How does localisation work?
>       ---------------------------
>       The localisation mechanism is very straightforward: Just provide
>       the content and its translations in files with an extra
extension
>       to indicate the language and the site does the rest.  Currently
>       supported are:
>
>           Language            | Extension
>           --------------------+------------
>           English             | .html.en
>           Japanese            | .html.ja
>           Korean              | .html.ko
>           Simplified Chinese  | .html.zh-cn
>           Traditional Chinese | .html.zh-tw
>
>       In other words, instead of having index.html, the project will
>       have index.html.en, index.html.ja, and index.html.zh-cn to
provide
>       the content in English, Japanese, respectively Simplified
Chinese.

https://mapguide.osgeo.org/servlets/ProjectSource#tortoisesvn

>       Now you have a so-called "working copy" on your local machine.
>       This is where you will do your work, creating new translations
and
>       maintaining existing ones.
>
>       For instance, I checked out a working copy of MapGuide to
>       C:\auke\dev\mapguide.  This directory is my working copy of the
>       MapGuide repository and C:\auke\dev\mapguide\www is where the
web
>       content lives.
>
>  1.2  Creating & maintaining translations
>       -----------------------------------
>       Every time you want to change or add something in the web pages,
>       you should go through these steps:
>        1. With your file explorer, go to the 'www' sub directory in
your
>           working copy (aka, C:\auke\dev\mapguide\www, in my case).
>        2. Make sure you have the latest content in your working copy
by
>           running the 'update' command: In your file explorer, hit the
>           right mouse button (without having anything selected in the
>           folder) and select 'SVN Update'.  This pops up a dialog
which
>           tells you that it brings in the latest, if anything.  Hit
"Ok"
>           (assuming it doesn't give you any error messages or
>           conflicts).
>        3. Edit the file(s) you need to edit.
>        4. Commit the changes to the repository: In your file explorer,
>           hit the right mouse button and select 'SVN Commit'. Provide
>           sensible log message and hit "Ok".
>
>       If you refresh your browser, it will show the updated content on
>       the site.
>
>  1.3  Links & resources
>       -----------------
>       For more information about Subversion, see
>       http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/index.html
>       This is the full book on Subversion that explains everything
from
>       basic usage to advanced usage and among others includes a full
>       command reference.
>
> If you have any questions, comments, or feedback, please
> don't hesitate
> to contact me.
>

> Auke
>
> On Wednesday, July 12, 2006 14:42, Auke Jilderda wrote:
> >
> > KG, Kevin,
> >
> > as promised, an update on how localisation works and a proposal on
how
> > to execute this.
> >
> > OSGeo.org supports multiple languages and the content is
automatically
> > displayed depending on the language you selected in your browser.
The
> > way this works is by providing the content and its translations in
> > files with extensions that indicate the language.  Currently
supported
> > are:
> >     English               .html or .en
> >     Japanese              .ja
> >     Korean                .ko
> >     Simplified Chinese    .zh-cn
> >     Traditional Chinese   .zh-tw
> > For example, rename the index.html to index.html.en (or
> > index.html.html) and provide its Japanese and Simplified Chinese
> > translations in index.html.ja respectively index.html.zh-cn.  (Be
> > aware, do not leave index.html as such -- it has to be renamed
either
> > to index.html.en or index.html.html for translations to show.)
> >
> > I propose to use the system as it has been designed: Keep the
English
> > content and all its translations in the MapGuide project on
OSGeo.org.