[Web Comm] Re: [OSGeo-Board] Re: [Web Comm] Web Committee Chair

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Thu Jun 22 14:53:31 EDT 2006

dear all,
On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 02:34:31PM -0400, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> >If WebCom was moribund, then it just died. Amen (Jo - thanks for the
> >short ceremony in the other mail).
> In fact, I took Jo's most recent email on the subject to be supportive
> of keeping WebCom as it's own going concern with a broad mandate to
> develop content and organization for the web site.  Perhaps I need
> to re-read it.

Well, I was more seeking to provoke people into talking what they
think, than seeking to pronounce the last rites. I think Jason's last
email makes a lot of sense, as does your point Frank about a 'web
working group' inside VisCom.

This may all be semantics. But what are committees other than a
vehicle for people to feel - I have to say it, "empowered" - to act in
a certain area, to suggest decisions knowing that they have the
'right' to take on responsiblity for them? If the point is to focus
energy on action, I'd be happy to see one less Committee and more
engaged, participatory people.

I realise that I am starting to sound like one of those terrible "how
high is your corporate EQ" books that one flips through in airport
bookstores to pass the time, am basically just kibitzing in this
conversation and should be backing carefully away... about... now...

cheers,

jo