[Webcom] Organize and structure the wiki

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Sun Jun 10 13:05:40 EDT 2007

On Sun, June 10, 2007 18:33, Yves Jacolin wrote:
> Le Dimanche 10 Juin 2007 15:23, Frank Warmerdam a écrit :
>> Yves Jacolin wrote:
>> > Well, today the francophone local chapter aims to group all french
>> > speaking people : from Quebec to Vietnam via France, Belgium, Swiss
>> > ;-)
>> >
>> > BTW, if the local chapter is not group by the langage but by
>> geographic
>> > location, indeed we could get two local chapters with the same
>> langage.
>> > Thus it could be interesting to define a local chapter : is it a group
>> of
>> > people speaking the same langage? Is it a group of people living close
>> > each other (l. c. =geographic location) ? Both of them?
>>
>> Folks,
>>
>> This is off topic for the wiki reorganization, but I thought I might
>> respond.
>>
>> Local chapters are expected to declare a "scope" in their charter.  It
>> is
>> expected that some chapters will be primarily linguistic focused (ie.
>> all francophone, while some will be national (ie. India) and others will
>> be very geographically local (ie. Ottawa/National Capital Region).  And
>> that's fine.
>>
>> Best regards,
> Franks,
>
> My aim is not to change anything about this, I completly agreed with this.
> When I talked about "organizing the francophone local chapter section" I
> meant the wiki pages ;-) and I thank that it could be a good idea to use
> wiki
> namespace concept to structure the wiki. Anyway it was just an idea :-)
>
> Regards,
>
> Y.
> --
> Yves Jacolin

>From my experience the structure of a Wiki automatically derives from the
content added and how people connect and link pages. OSGeo already has
categories and might in future also have for name spaces. I have no
experience with name spaces but am eager to find out. As it is a Wiki
whoever feels like it can start to add them like Markus did with
categories half a year back. It will also make it easier to track
translations. I will help to find out how to.

Regards,