[Webcom] News box frozen in other languages

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Fri May 11 11:37:04 EDT 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I was just reviewing this bug:
>
>   http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/109
>
> When it first went past I thought the main issue was about translatability
> of news, so I ignored it, leaving it to the translation gurus.  However,
> now
> I see that when folks visit some pages (presumably pages in other
> languages)
> the news box does not show any of the recent news.  I consider this quite
> a serious bug!
>
> But I have no idea why this happens, or how to fix it.
>
> So this email is me begging those with better understanding of Drupal to
> look into the issue, and suggest a solution.  I want my beloved news
> available
> to all visitors even if it is only available in english.
>
> Any ideas anyone?  Where are all those folks who advocated for Drupal as a
> platform...
>
> Best regards,

Hi,
we use a different translation module on our well maintained Drupal web site and it works just fine. :-) Toni (our web admin) is not available in pager-mode but will look into issues several times a week during EU office hours if that helps. He could probably lend a hand in debugging this problem on the OSGeo site.

The site is still in a pretty bad shape due to many external parameters (I am not trying to blame anyone!) like trying to save all existing paths and ending up with strangeties, having many individuals hack their own things (like Seven), adding translations somewehre on the way and reuse an alias body from a completely different system, etc. If this was one of my client's projects I would immediately declare it a prototype machine, and start immediately to re-implement everything to be able to go productive in six months. But hey, OSGeo cannot afford us.

Having said that I know that we actually treat it http://www.osgeo.org as our production server with all errors and odities and we already love it a bit. This is not a software problem, it is a management, time and money problem. But because we are a funny bunch of happy hackers it still works most of the time. I jabber.

There is another ticket addressing site map and I am missing exactly that as a template for the translation status page at:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Portal_Translation_Status

That Wiki page is a helpless initial try at getting things organized semantically without even having the syntax worked out...

Toni will probably need an account to debug OSGeo translations and news- If it is required that he become WebCom member I herewith nominate Toni Pignataro as new member and +1 it directly. If he gets accounts he should have both translator and administrator roles.

Toni,
please create yourself an account at http://www.osgeo.org/ or if you have one send the account name to this list. If there is no objection and somebody feels like doing it you will get access to that server with admin role. Initially you are not supposed to change anything without passing it through the mailing list. At a later state we might consider to appoint module maintainers.

Best regards,
Arnulf.