[Webcom] Restructuring the wiki

Milo van der Linden mlinden at zeelandnet.nl
Mon Jun 16 11:46:45 EDT 2008

Hello Dave,

First of all thank you for your response! As I said, all comments are
appreciated.

Dave Patton wrote:
> On 2008/06/16 1:22 AM, Milo van der Linden wrote:
>
>> I would like to bring in a proposal for restructuring by:
>> - - Creating a solid base of categories. I set up a proposal for this
>> that
>> I would like to discuss. The pdf can be found here:
>> <http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Image:Osgeo_wiki_structure_proposal_draft.pdf>
>>

> There are currently over 70 Categories in use
> in the wiki. Are you proposing to reduce that
> down to just the ones listed in your PDF?
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php?title=Special:Categories&limit=100

Good point. I don't intend to reduce to the categories listed in the
pdf. It is a starting point for the restructure. Thank you also for the
list of categories.

What I would like to do is:
- - Combine very close related categories:
	for instance: The categories Newsletter and Newsletter Volume 1 can be
merged.
- - Marketing and Marketing committee can also be merged as the marketing
committee should in my opinion be responsible for all marketing related
articles and categories.

- - (Re)move categories that contain less then 4 members: It should not be
to hard to come up with a good, more general category to hold their
sub-items.

> What is a "meeting"? For example, would a meeting
> of an organizing committee for FOSS4G be listed
> under the relevant FOSS4G category, under the
> "Meeting" category, or both?

In my opinion: meetings are internal events that require involvement by
certain bodies. Please tell me if my opinion on this is wrong. My
intentions are mainly to make a beautiful wiki even more beautiful!

> Should subcategories be part of the restructuring?
> For example, for FOSS4G2008, there is a subcategory
> of FOSS4G2008 Workshops:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Category:FOSS4G2008
> For example, Events as a Category, with subcategories:
> - Events
> -- .....
> -- .....
> -- FOSS4G
> --- FOSS4G2006
> --- FOSS4G2007
> --- FOSS4G2008
> ---- FOSS4G2008 Workshops
> --- FOSS4G2009
> --- .....
> -- .....

Absolutely! But...
In your particular example this depends somehow on the calendar
extension, from quick reading I discovered that the calendar extension
grabs a date structure from the naming of pages. Please correct me if I
am wrong. But basically in my opinion: Things can be ripped in several
categories:
- - FOSS4G is clearly a category
- - Workshops can be a category, but only when it is used a lot and
throughout the wiki. In that case, individual articles would be related
to two categories namely "FOSS4G" and "Workshops" this gives the
audience the possibility to directly go into the Workshops category and
browse workshops by topic instead of by when and where they took place.
(Which sounds more natural to me) f.i. If I look for all workshops about
GRASS, I don't get a clear overview in the current wiki structure.

- - The year numbering can be calendar related (please advise)

> Should some pages and categories be renamed, for consistency?
> For example, decide whether FOSS4G pages have a space between
> "FOSS4G" and the year. For example, for FOSS4G 2009, the
> category is "FOSS4G2009", but all the page titles use a
> space before the year:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Category:FOSS4G2009

Maybe. If we come up with a good structure; it will immediatly be clear
whether renaming pages and categories is relevant to the organization of
the wiki.

Keep them tips and remarks coming!

Kind regards,

Milo