[webmap-discuss] Client side coordinate transformation library - Call to developers/testers

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 21:21:27 EDT 2006

On 7/25/06, Aaron Koning <aaronkoning at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> Its good to hear from you again. I am mostly interested in porting GCTP to
> JavaScript. I have not had much use for datum conversions on the client
> side, but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has. Right now the
> GCTP-JS port has the three most important projections for my region (Albers,
> Lambert, UTM) and it works very well, so I am hesitant to get involved with
> recreating this functionality. In addition, I believe that the GCTP can be
> ported much quicker than Proj4 since it has less than half the files of
> Proj4 and since many of the GCTP files contain only a few lines that need to
> be converted. Perhaps there are more compelling reasons to redirect efforts?
>
> Aaron

No, I have no terribly compelling arguments for combining the projects
at this time, but let's keep in touch. The Mapbuilder Proj.js code
does have the GCTP Polar Stereographic projection converted, which may
be of interest to you.

Top of my projection list is the Mercator (not transverse Mercator)
because it is used by Google and everybody is keen on Google. If you
get to it before I do, would you drop me a line?

I trust that you would not mind if I incorporated projections that you
have port into my work?

And do you know if GCTP is open source? I know Cameron Shorter was
wondering about this recently.

Rich

--
Richard Greenwood