[webmap-discuss] ka-Map and OpenLayers - prototype/Dojo

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 17:12:27 EDT 2006

3 issues were brought up in this email, so I've broken it into 3

Paul Spencer wrote:
> The choice of prototype (for ka-Map) is based on my own experience
> using it.  I actually wanted to use Scriptaculous for an application
> (MapGuide OS Web Studio) and Scriptaculous is built on top of
> prototype.js.  I now have invested in learning it and am not really
> going to consider switching since I don't find it lacks anything I need.
>
> OpenLayers is already using prototype.js - not sure what decision
> process lead to that, maybe Schuyler or Chris can comment.  In any
> case, it makes for a much easier migration from my point of view.
>
> If there are compelling reasons to use another framework, I'd be
> interested in hearing about it.

I have not used prototype.  I've been watching Dojo for 6 months or so,
but have not used it yet.  Dojo have addressed a number of AJAX issues
like events, dynamic loading, OO programming, compression, etc, and they
have a strong user community and good documentation.

However, I don't have my heart set on Dojo and I'm open to using another
library if it meets requirements.

--
Cameron Shorter
http://cameron.shorter.net