[ZOO-Discuss] ZOO Debian Package

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Tue Sep 21 15:25:36 PDT 2010

Hi Alessandro and others,

I think that splitting ZOO into multiple packages must make sense for a
user, for example when someone only wants to install the basics on a
production server.

But it should be already clear from the configure - make - install process.
So if you build several packages "zoo-kernel", "zoo-services" and "zoo-api"
for example and you have to write custom scripts to pick one part from here
and one from there, this wouldn't be a good idea IMO.
So if ZOO-Project is already designed that it wants to make certain parts
optional (or will do in the future), then it makes sense to split packages,
otherwise not.

Daniel

PS: I would prefer some anming like zoo-<name>-x.x.x if this is not against
some naming convention