[ZOO-Discuss] any interest in a wps bakeoff?

Gérald Fenoy gerald.fenoy at geolabs.fr
Mon Jan 31 04:19:34 PST 2011

Hi Jody,
I think the meeting sounds really interesting and I thank you Edzer for sharing this information with us.

Jody, maybe we can use the osgeo wiki for sharing our ideas, describe tests which can be run, urls to use to run tests, results of the tests and stuff like that ?

IMHO it is a good option.

We can also use the WIki setup by OGC but I'm unable to access it today.

Hope to hear from you,
Best,

Le 31 janv. 2011 à 02:33, Jody Garnett a écrit :

> [...]
>> IfGI-site: http://ifgi.uni-muenster.de
>>
>> On 01/30/2011 02:18 PM, Gérald Fenoy wrote:
>>> Hi Jody,
>>> in ZOO-Project we see services (which are using various OSGeo libraries) as animals. Animals are fed by ZOO-Kernel and all their output (dirty :] ) are then managed back :)
>>>
>>> I think it is a really good idea to get the WPS-Backoff done this year. Indeed, I'm pretty sure it will imply better WPS solutions if the effort is well managed. I mean if each projects are well informed that this will occurs and are asked to contribute back to the effort. I also think this can a great help for each WPS projects that can get benefit if feedbacks are well returned back to each projects individually. Maybe some bugs can be found this way.
>>>
>>> Indeed, I think that a good thing which can be made to make the effort efficient can be to ask for team in each WPS Server development team to provide URLs of usable WPS Server for testing.
>>>
>>> Another point I thought about is the WPS-GRASS-Bridge which is supported by both 52°North, PyWPS and ZOO-Project. Unfortunately I'm unsure of the status for deegree and GeoServer WPS implementations as I didn't see mention of them in the WPS-GRASS-Bridge [1] made by Soeren Gebbert (in fact, strangely checking twice when writting this email I noticed that 52°n disappear, maybe the code moved somewhere else). Maybe it can really useful in the effort of comparing solutions as those three are providing same services based on the same libraries back-end.
>>>
>>> Some troubles can occurs to compare the supported languages, indeed AFAIK PyWPS is supporting only Python and 52°n is supporting Java and Python (as GeoServer implementation). So how to compare supported languages ? Honestly I don't get any answer.
>>>
>>> I think also that it can be a good point to get some comparison on how to develop and then deploy services. I think it is a key point, indeed I think it is great to compare existing services and how they work / run but I think it can be also great to compare time required to develop and deploy new services. This can be a hard and long task to organize such a comparison. Indeed I think that somebody out of the ZOO-Project community should be involved to provide information on how to develop and deploy new services to get "real" feedbacks.
>>>
>>> I also think that comparison between project should also imply full testing of WPS capabilities. I mean, does each projects support WSDL/SOAP or not (I know that ZOO-Project is not supporting yet but will really soon ! :D ), can we well use both GET and POST request from XML request sent to the server (using Header and Body or BodyReference if my memory is correct). Maybe some XML validation can be done also about the answer returned back to the client.
>>>
>>> I am volonteer for participating in this effort and help as much as I can to make this happening.
>>>
>>> Here was my the first ideas I got in mind,

>>> 34970 Lattes
>>> Tél. fixe : +33 (0) 4 67 43 09 95

gerald.fenoy at geolabs.fr

GEOLABS