[Foss4g2009] Venue & program comments

mapbutcher mapbutcher at mapbutcher.com
Mon Dec 8 21:26:01 EST 2008

It looks like my email sent to the list last night was truncated - so here
it is again without attachments  - which can be found here:

http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/foss4g2009/2008-December/000585.html

1. Notes on the attached program (PDF and Excel)

Find attached a first draft program, this includes an outline program for
the conference as a whole inclusive of the workshops and also an outline
daily schedule. The program does not include the following at this stage:

: social events
: logistics
: any concept of streams
: + lots of other stuff i have not got a handle on yet.....

I have made a number of assumptions when creating this draft so please keep
this in mind

a) We will have 3 featured speakers plus 1 keynote
b) We will have an introduction from OGC on the integration showcase within
the plenary
c) We will have some sort of demonstration of the integration showcase as
part of the conference close
d) Total Conference Sessions: 97
e) Total Conference Tutorials: 24
f) I have opted to utilise Parkside 03 and Parkside 04 for both workshops
and tutorials leaving the option open to retain PC's for tutorials if
required.

2. 20-10-2009 (Page 2 of PDF)

Shows a potential workshop program - each of the confirmed\held rooms and
capacities are shown, including Parkside 110A and 110B. I would like to
present 3 possible options, I'm sure there are others:

a) Conservative - 290 attendees
b) Medium - replace G04 & G03 with 110A & B     - 460 attendees
c) High Risk - 630 attendees

As SCEC are pushing for confirmation we need to make a decision on this.
Parkside 110A & 110B are large rooms (we also have the auditorium) and are
away from other rooms in the SCEC - i.e. upstairs. I'm not sure that we
would make optimal use of these rooms and even when partitioned they could
feel empty. At this stage my preference would be to opt out of these rooms
and work with the alternate room suggestions for both the conference and
workshops as I have drafted in the program.

3. 21-10-2009 (Page 3 of PDF)

Total Sessions: 30

4. 22-10-2009 (Page 4 of PDF)

Total Sessions: 36
Total Tutorials: 16

5. 23-10-2009 (Page 5 of PDF)

Total Sessions: 31
Total Tutorials: 8

6. Comments on the venue

a) Capacity has been given for G07 can we abandon the suggested useage in
favour of using this as a session room and secure this for the conference
i.e. 21st, 22nd & 23rd?
b) Can we confirm G04 for the conference i.e. 21st, 22nd & 23rd?
c) Can we opt out of 110A and 110B?
d) I think we need to secure Parkside 01, 02, 03, 04 & 05 for workshop set
up on Monday 19th.
e) I would like to see exhibitors have access to the parkside foyer as soon
as lunch has finished on the Tuesday 20th?
f) Will the booth bump in during the night on the Monday incur extra costs?

7. Comments on the exhibition

The variety of booth choices is preferable to many small booths. In summary
this alternate configuration will provide us with:

a) 15 x 3m x 1m booths
b) 9 x 3m x 2m booths
c) 8 x 3m x 3m booths

My preference remains to stay with the Parkside Foyer as alternate costs for
the Exhbition space seem prohibitive. I would like to seek confirmation that
we can double up as required on these booth sizes?

8. Conference Program Schedule

I met with TH last wednesday and discussed briefly the outline conference
program schedule they had supplied. The following issues were raised and
require OC confirmation:

a) Both the call for abstracts AND workshops will be handled by the OC -
Cameron can you confirm?
b) Based on advice from TH can we consider altering the abstract submission
deadline to the beginning of June to allow more time for review - I don;t
see this as a big issue?
c) There was some discussion raised around a seperate deadline for
presenters to ensure we get registration confirmed for all presenters and do
as much as we can to mitigate against no shows - any views?
d) Registration opens in April therefore we need to make a decision well in
advance of this date what conference elements will be offered as part of a
single registration i.e. conference, social event, workshops etc

Simon