[GeoNode-users] Geonode account registrations don't work

Adam Lawrence alaw005 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 01:50:30 PST 2017

Hi again  thank you for the help. I ended up using a bit of a hack (I
think), the syncdb error message showed me where to look for the source
files so I changed the settings there. The following are my documented
instructions, in case they are of use to anyone. Is there a reason why the
notifications app is not enabled by default? I wonder because would be so
much easier if it was - is it a performance issue for those that don't need
it?

   #. Configure email server and user registration

      Open config file::

            sudo nano /etc/geonode/local_settings.py

      Locate the following email and user registration settings and update
to your requirements (uncomment relevant settings). NB: If you are using
gmail to send emails then you will need to update gmail settings to allow
less secure connections (otherwise emails will be blocked).

            #REGISTRATION_OPEN = False
            #ACCOUNT_APPROVAL_REQUIRED = False

            #ACCOUNT_EMAIL_CONFIRMATION_EMAIL = False
            #ACCOUNT_EMAIL_CONFIRMATION_REQUIRED = False

            # Uncomment the following to receive emails whenever there are
errors in GeoNode
            # or to be notified of new user requests when
ACCOUNT_APPROVAL_REQUIRED has been set.
            #ADMINS = (
            #            ('John', 'john at example.com'),
            #         )

            # Uncomment the following to use a Gmail account as the email
backend
            #EMAIL_USE_TLS = True
            #EMAIL_HOST = 'smtp.gmail.com'
            #EMAIL_HOST_USER = 'youremail at gmail.com'
            #EMAIL_HOST_PASSWORD = 'yourpassword'
            #EMAIL_PORT = 587

 Active the ``notification`` app in django.  This is required because the
app is not installed by default (commented out in source code). You will
need to edit the following file (this is a hack, as should only be changing
the local_settings.py file)::

sudo nano /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/geonode/settings.py
      Locate the line ``#'notifications',`` and uncomment so becomes
``'notifications',``

INSTALLED_APPS = (
#'notification',
) + GEONODE_APPS