[QGIS-Developer] Stale bot and older requests/issues - possible enhancement

Charles Dixon-Paver charles at kartoza.com
Fri Jan 8 08:41:32 PST 2021

I agree with Jorge and am personally not a fan of a simple "pay a
commercial partner" message, which is why I think a separate link like
Matthias suggested is a great idea, and any message which might be
interpreted as "It's open source, so fix it yourself" could be harmful.

I think a large part of the problem is an awareness issue, where there is a
lack of understanding of the development process and ecosystem at large.
Users should know that donations and sustaining memberships go a long way
to feature development and squashing bugs too, but they also need to know
that it cannot be guaranteed that a specific issue will be addressed unless
they make their own arrangements to address it.

When you factor in community engagement, hackfests, crowd funding, and all
the other initiatives the project is undertaking, I feel like there is a
lot more that users can do besides buying a support contract.

Mostly I think the message would need to be concise but meaningful, and
although it may be frustrating for "seasoned veterans" of the community to
keep seeing it pop-up, I think it is a fair way to engage with users in a
way that supports a healthy ecosystem. I think if it gets too "spammy", the
simple solution is to extend the timeframe before the message is applied.

I made an error in my previous suggested notice and would certainly replace
"how to sponsor the development of this functionality" with "how to support
the development of this functionality".

But that's just my three cents ;-)