[Board] March Update

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Tue Mar 2 19:56:01 PST 2010

Hi all,
Time to summarise a few projects that are on the go.  No huge changes to
day-to-day activities.

1. 501c3 application is chugging along.  We've got the response from IRS
where they have more questions for us to answer.  We got a deadline
extension from them for March 19th.  I'm compiling our notes and just
finalising the updated financial records part of the application (not
trivial).

2. Non profit support.  I have a meeting tomorrow with a firm that
provides support for organisations like ours (and other FOSS foundations
I've met).  There, a lawyer will help answers some of our 501c3
questions as well as other tax related issues and hopefully any further
concerns we have.  If you have any particular things you'd like to know,
please drop me a note and I'll try to bring it up.  I'm also looking at
potentially getting some book keeping support since it keeps me way too
occupied it seems.

3. Waiting on another insurance quote, for directors and officers
coverage, as well as general liability.  Will update you when I get some
prices/packages back to choose from.

4. A few things to note on the finance side of things.  Frank (as
Treasurer) is working on a 2010 budget for OSGeo.  Back in January I
wrapped up financial reports, they are in finance committees hands now
[1] and if you want a budget versus actual picture you can see here [2].
   We got the first installment of our proceeds (and repayment of our
seed money) from FOSS4G 2009 (net $20k).

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/finance/2010-January/000251.html
[2] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/finance/2010-January/000252.html

5. Fundraising for new sponsors is occurring on a couple fronts.  I have
a few leads I'm following up on.  As well, Lorenzo and I are chatting
regularly about possibilities for sponsors of FOSS4G.  Either way, they
are sponsors for OSGeo -  As a reminder, I encourage you to approach
organisations that might make it to FOSS4G (as attendees, exhibitors or
sponsors) but might not care about sponsoring OSGeo directly.  We can
all think of a company or two that we know, have worked for, etc. that
might be interested.  If you need help with messaging, let me know.

6. Add in some miscellaneous ongoing emails and planning items and that
will round out my time for the month.
* We've got an opportunity to meet during the OSGIS event in Nottingham
in June, even if you are available virtually.
* The Journal keeps chugging along and getting closer to completion
early in March.
* Planning for OSGeo presence at FOSS4G.  Anyone interested in
coordinating our booth?  It often just falls to me when I could be using
the time to plan more meetings during the event (e.g. with sponsors or
potential sponsors).  Of course, I know we're all often run off our feet
that week ;-)
* New servers were ordered, paid for and delivered last week!! Wahoo!
Thanks to Alex Mandel for being our configuration and migration hero :)

Probably enough for you to chew on!  Hope to hear more about your
thoughts on goals for 2010 and any vision for the next stage of OSGeo's
life.

Best wishes,
Tyler