[Board] Executive Committee Proposal

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 14:36:18 PDT 2012

On 18/10/2012 7:11 AM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Michael P. Gerlek <mpg at flaxen.com
> <mailto:mpg at flaxen.com>> wrote:
>
>     Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to make tonight's meeting
>     after all (I might catch the end of the meeting, if it runs long).
>
>     Anyway, why does the new Exec Committee include anyone other than
>     just Board Members?  I'm not saying it shouldn't (yet?), I'm just
>     surprised by this and need to think about it some more -- seems
>     like we'd be devolving responsibilities to a larger group, and I
>     don't think we want to do that for moral reasons (the community
>     elected the 7 board members to make decisions, not anyone else?)
>     and logistical reasons (the decision making body is already big
>     enough).
>

> Michael,
>
> I would contend that a larger decision making group is
> not a serious problem when you have done away with
> the quorum requirements.
>
> I certainly wouldn't mind omitting the committee chairs
> for the time being even though I think in the long term
> it would be a good idea.  I suppose I really ought to provide
> some justification for why I think it is a good idea.  Hmm.

Frank,
If I understand your proposal, it effectively boils down to 2 points:
1. Lets allow board meetings to be conducted via our typical
communication channels (of email / IRC / etc). I think this is a good idea.

2. Lets expand the group of people involved in decision making to
include committee chairs. I think this needs more discussion. I'm wary
of introducing another level of decision making unless there are strong
reasons as to why the current system is not working.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager

Think Globally, Fix Locally