[Board] f2f meeting follow up

b.j.kobben at utwente.nl b.j.kobben at utwente.nl
Wed Aug 23 12:12:39 PDT 2017

I am sorry, but I feel obliged to step in here: The discussion as apparently conducted in the F2F has no bearing on the original request by Franz-Josef, which was simply for funding to have somebody (and yes, he asked me) to do the COPY-EDITING (i.e taking the original papers as submitted by the authors and turning them into proper lay-out in LaTeX, and producing a journal edition); This is for producing a volume of the sadly neglected osgeo publication called OSGEO Journal. This was what was promised to the authors when their papers that were accepted for the academic track of Foss4G 2016 would be published. They are waiting for this promise to be fulfilled already more than a year!

I appreciate I have done that task earlier "for free", for volumes 13 and 14 of the journal (the FOSS4G AT proceedings of Nottingham and Portland, respectively). But at those editions I was the (co-)Chair of the Academic Track, and thus could defend my time to my Professor, as being an AT chair earns you academic brownie points. For the 2016 Bonn edition I was not, and thus when Franz-Josef asked me because, apparently, no one else was willing and/or able to do the copy-editing, I told him it would have to be a payed-for job this time. He requested this funding already in March I think, so it's surprising that no decision has been made yet, and even the original request is still clearly not properly understood...

The OSGEO Journal is a proper outlet for this, as it is an official Open Access ISSN-numbered journal of the osgeo.org. I called it "sadly neglected" before because the last volumes are indeed the two I copy-edited (it originally was supposed to be at least yearly). And there's no sign of it at the new site....

yours truly,

--
Barend Köbben
OSgeo.org Charter Member / OSgeo.nl Dutch chapter treasurer