[Board] Compile data for budget

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 15:15:10 PST 2018

Hello Vicky,

All of your questions are great - and help guide my suggestion for 2019.

Let me get one thing out of the way first -  pgRouting did not receive the
same questions as Zoo-Project because you pgRouting did everything
correctly. You asked the incubation committee, we made a motion on the
incubation committee list, and it was passed (to help your representative
travel to AGM).

ZOO-Project passed a motion in their own PSC and went straight to
treasurer, who then had to come to the incubation committee and get a
motion passed etc...

Why is this a trouble? Because we need an officer (someone on the page
<https://www.osgeo.org/about/board/>) to work on behalf of the community
project. Community project have not passed incubation and do not have an
officer of their own.

I am proposing that community projects ask the board (attend a board
meeting or send email to the board email list) in 2019 … rather than work
through the incubation committee.

> Q1: From now on community projects will not be able to apply for a budget?

For the annual budget community projects are not able to apply for a budget
currently. The incubation committee did so on behalf of all the community
projects. To help set this budget I as incubation chair asked for input
last year at this time.

So I am proposing the board set aside budget to community projects in 2019,
rather than the incubation committee. I think the board is better able to
address these funding request over the course of the year.

Incubation committee is doing (I hope) a good job of checking projects as
they join.

This discussion also answers what do projects get when they graduate - the
answer is recognition as a full committee (with a project officer and their
own budget to work with independently of the board).
--
Jody Garnett