[Board] Request to OSGeo for chapter startup financial assistance

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 20:54:35 PDT 2019

Thanks Jody. In response...

*> The AUD $5000-6000 do you have a quote or experience with another
organization leading to this estimate?*
The estimate is based on two components: not-for-profit association advice,
and accounting advice. We've had discussions with professionals, and have
quotes for services, in both components. We've already done a lot of the
work in entity formation though, and have some of the accounting apparatus
in place, so at this stage we're looking for professional advice on tying
up loose ends and making sure we're doing it right. As such, it's a bit of
a "how long is a piece of string" question, since we don't yet know what we
don't know... the AUD $5000-6000 figure represents our best guess at what
it will cost, given what we do know.

*> Is there a good way to handle this? Donation or sponsorship or paying
for the accounting/legal services ...*
I think donation would probably be the simplest way, but open to
suggestions. We could provide a reconciliation of costs at the end of the
project.

*> Want to avoid catch-22 where you need to be setup with a bank account
for OSGeo to provide financial support to help setup ...*
We have an OSGeo Oceania bank account in Australia, so we're already able
to receive payments.

Thanks!
John