[Conference-europe] Conference Europe Committee, ask questions to prolosal

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Tue Oct 31 09:42:14 PDT 2017

Hi Jorge,

On 2017-10-31 1:25 PM, Jorge Gustavo Rocha wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> On 31-10-2017 12:39, Jeff McKenna wrote:
>>

>> On 2017-10-30 7:08 PM, Jachym Cepicky wrote:
>>>
>>> I move to approve the FOSS4G-Europe proposal as presented here and
>>> kindly ask the team to organise FOSS4G-Europe 2018 for us.
>>>
>>> And here goes my +1
>>>

>> my vote: +1
>>
>> Dear Jorge and the 2018 team,
>>
>> Thanks for your great proposal.  Here are some comments:
>>
>> - excellent that you also included a financial budget.  I noticed that
>> you have a line item for renting 12 computer workstations for workshops:
>> is your plan to leverage the existing workstations at the University of
>> Minho for all workshops?  Or, what is your plan for the 12 machines?
>>

> We don't know if we should provide computers from some workshops or just
> the room and each one brings his own computer. Can we decide right now
> that there are no computers available or it is better to have computers
> for people travelling without laptops? What do you think?
>
> We will try to use the available computer labs from the university, but
> we don't know yet if they will charge us for that. There are not much
> computer labs at the university any more, because students prefers to
> bring their own computers. Basically we added this item for computer
> rentals if we need an extra room with computers, but we hope that will
> not be necessary.

I think the cost of renting machines is very high for any local
committee for any event, and these days with OSGeo-Live attendees can
come prepared to use their own laptops.  I would say that it is best to
avoid the extra costs of renting machines.  I personally think that it
is ok to assume now that no computers will be available.

I didn't mean to 'micro-manage' you here on this, I can see that you
have a great team in place.  I'm supportive of whatever decisions you make.

>> - I hope you can also begin to draft a logo for the event, that includes
>> the FOSS4G ribbon of course :) But I know you already have great
>> experience with that, through the SASIG event
>> (http://osgeopt.pt/sasig2017/images/logo.png)
>>

> You give me a very good idea (I need feedback from my co-chairs Maria
> and Pedro, to see if they agree, and from Joana Simões - our marketing
> chair). We can create a design logo contest to offer free entrance for
> the winner. It will help to spread the word and to let someone come
> without paying the fee.

Great plan!  A great way to spread the word.

-jeff