[OSGeo-Conf] Regarding local/mini conferences

Daniel Ames dan.ames at isu.edu
Wed Sep 29 12:59:02 EDT 2010

Thanks Venka, and I apologize for "beating a dead horse" (as we say in
Idaho).

>From your first link there is a clear implied agreement with the owners of
foss4g.org when it was donated to OSGeo was that there would be no
restriction on the use of the acronym when it is used for the "legitimate
purpose of promoting Free and Open Source Software for Geoinformatics".

This suggests that any plans for the usage of "FOSS4G" for a
mini/regional/or topical conference (e.g. "FOSS4G for Hydro") could be done
collaboratively with the OSGeo conference committee in the spirit of
fostering goodwill, but there is no mandate or requirement to do this.
(Indeed, ESRI could potentially host their own "FOSS4G" conference - though
I suspect that they wouldn't).

Is this a correct interpretation?

- Dan

http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2008-June/000576.html

> For additional background you may also take a look at
> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2007-October/000405.html
> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2007-October/000394.html
> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2006-October/000035.html
> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2006-October/000096.html
>
> Perhaps some other discussions on naming and usage of FOSS4G.
>
> Venka

Daniel P. Ames, Ph.D. PE
Associate Professor, Geosciences
Idaho State University - Idaho Falls