[OSGeo-Conf] Regarding local/mini conferences

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 16:17:23 EDT 2010

Dan,
It is topical to start asking these questions, because I don't think
they have been addressed properly before.

At the moment, FOSS4G has built itself a brand name which effectively
means "the annual international GeoSpatial Open Source conference".

I think if we start using the FOSS4G name for other conferences, then we
will confuse potential delegates and water down the brand name of the
current FOSS4G conference.

We don't want to introduce confusion between the annual and local
conferences.

We could set up a separate brand name for local foss4g mini conferences.
* foss4g-mini would work (although "mini" is not a word conference
organisors would likely want to use).
* foss4g-england would not work, as this could be confused as the
international foss4g conference being held in England.

I suggest using another term that can be franchised out, (and while at
it, refocus the term that we are focusing on). I'd like to see the
conference definition be:
* Open Source, Open Standards, Open Data, Open Communities for GeoSpatial.
* Maybe, "Open Geospatial Conference", OGConf-England.

On 30/09/10 02:59, Daniel Ames wrote:
> Thanks Venka, and I apologize for "beating a dead horse" (as we say in
> Idaho).
>
> From your first link there is a clear implied agreement with the
> owners of foss4g.org <http://foss4g.org> when it was donated to OSGeo
> was that there would be no restriction on the use of the acronym when
> it is used for the "legitimate purpose of promoting Free and Open
> Source Software for Geoinformatics".
>
> This suggests that any plans for the usage of "FOSS4G" for a
> mini/regional/or topical conference (e.g. "FOSS4G for Hydro") could be
> done collaboratively with the OSGeo conference committee in the spirit
> of fostering goodwill, but there is no mandate or requirement to do
> this. (Indeed, ESRI could potentially host their own "FOSS4G"
> conference - though I suspect that they wouldn't).
>
> Is this a correct interpretation?
>
> - Dan
>

> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 8:31 PM, Venka <venka.osgeo at gmail.com
> <mailto:venka.osgeo at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > Tyler Mitchell wrote:
> >>
> >> I'll give others on the list a chance to share before spamming you
> >> with too many links, but this thread might give enough background:
> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2008-June/000576.html
> >
> > For additional background you may also take a look at
> > http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2007-October/000405.html
> > http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2007-October/000394.html
> > http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2006-October/000035.html
> > http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2006-October/000096.html
> >
> > Perhaps some other discussions on naming and usage of FOSS4G.
> >
> > Venka

> Daniel P. Ames, Ph.D. PE
> Associate Professor, Geosciences
> Idaho State University - Idaho Falls