[OSGeo-Conf] Motion: Membership in CC

michael terner ternergeo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 23:19:19 PDT 2018

+1 to both Cameron's and Eli's comments

   1. Substantive contributions to Conference Dev can be, and are regularly
   made *without being a formal member of the committee.* The best way to
   show one's interest and qualifications for committee membership is to get
   into the scrum of the active conversations and contribute; and when
   necessary, volunteer time to help resolve issues or generate policy. It is
   not a matter of being "anointed."
   2. Potentially dividing voting on conference venue selection (which
   requires a commitment to participate in the process and read and evaluate
   LOIs and RFP responses and to ask questions) and voting on other matters
   could be bifurcated across what Cameron identifies as "having two
   membership statuses." Indeed, there are many parts of Conference Dev that
   go beyond the global event:
      - TGP, for both global and regional events
      - Increasing OSGeo support (or not) for regional events
      - Diversity and CoC practices for all events
      - Etc. etc. etc.

With the 2020 process now in full swing, this will probably have to wait.
But perhaps we can bring this to closure after the 2020 process concludes?

MT

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 5:56 PM Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 14/9/18 11:14 am, Eli Adam wrote:
> > I've never thought that committee membership is needed to make
> > productive contributions to the committee and work.  Many non-members
> > have over the years made significant contributions and I value those.
> This group coordinates multiple tasks, and we are proposing criteria for
> voting membership upon qualification to vote on international conference
> selection.
> I think we can resolve our concerns by having two membership statuses:
> 1. Exclusive voting membership for FOSS4G venue selection (using some
> rule system like already proposed).
> 2. Membership for voting on everything else.
>
> Personally, I'm only interested in 2.
>
> --
> Cameron Shorter
> Technology Demystifier