[OSGeo-Discuss] Ideas/inputs needed for creating a High impact OSGeo Journal

Christian Willmes c.willmes at uni-koeln.de
Sat Dec 16 13:37:03 PST 2017

Dear Suchith,

this is a great initiative, the OSGeo Journal List is
"newsletter at lists.osgeo.org".

I aimed for improving the Journal some year(s) ago, but at this time the
guys running the journal were not in favor of this ideas.

See this thread:
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/newsletter/2015-October/001188.html

And this one:
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/newsletter/2015-November/001205.html

(I recommend to also read also the answers to these mails in the archives.)

Though, the Landon Black (OSGeo Journal Chair at this time) recently
stepped down.

See: https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/newsletter/2017-October/001245.html

No one answered his mail until now, so effectively this committee is
without a Chair currently...

The Journal is found here: https://journal.osgeo.org/index.php/journal

And official information is found here: http://www.osgeo.org/journal

I would support, If you and others would step up to improve the current
situation.

Best regards,
Christian

Am 15.12.2017 um 14:11 schrieb Suchith Anand:

> Dear All,
>

> Though we have a  OSGeo journal and I thank everyone who worked to
> make this happen, for really making impact , it needs new ideas and
> lot of work to really make it high impact journal. I want to start the
> discussions in the community for ideas for making the OSGeo journal
> a high impact journal that will attract submissions.
>

> I think , timing wise it is good to start planning ideas even if it is
> long term aim. Sharing some lessons learnt from GeoForAll, we
> initially didn’t have webinar platform but we could see its potential
> to spread our message. Initially we relied on external organisations
> for our webinars but as soon as we had a champion (Thank you Rafael)to
> run this for us, we moved to use our own system in place .For our
> newsletters, it was Nikos who lead the initiative and build an
> excellent team to make it happen. So having champions is important.
>

> Similarly, it is now time for us to think ideas of our own high impact
> journal. I have been over a decade volunteering for free as reviewer
> for many GIS journals (like many of our colleagues). I am also
> volunteering for editorial boards of journals. Though I support the
> idea of open access journals , I think it is important the costs of
> publishing in open access journals comes down.I don’t know the answer
> to how to make this possible but I thinkifthere is lot of competition,
> then costs will come down.
>

> Will any one be interested to be Champion for reactivating our OSGeo
> journal and working to create a high impact Open access journal that
> ideally can be free for those publishing. Lot of things need to
> beworked on to make thispossible. The Championsneeds to bring together
> a strong Editorial Board,and maybe have a new name for the journal -
> *International journal for Open Geospatial Science and Applications .***
>

> The Champions should put processes and systems in place . For OSGeo,
> we now have thanks to Charlie and FOSS4G 2017 LOC , we have some basic
> systems that can be use for the review process etc. We have lot of
> good papers submitted every year in the FOSS4GAcademic Tracks (both
> global and regional)who will all benefit but it needs a champion and a
> team to make this possible. I am willing to volunteer as one member
> for the Edition Board for this and review papers for free etc but I am
> unable to lead this because of my focus and work in GeoForAll. So
> anyone is willing tochampion ideas for this, please come forward.
>

> Best wishes,
>

> Suchith

> University of Nottingham.

> permitted by UK legislation.

Christian Willmes
AG GIS & Fernerkundung      | GIS & RS Group
Geographisches Institut     | Institute of Geography
Universität zu Köln         | University of Cologne
Tel.: +49 (0)221 470 6234
http://www.geographie.uni-koeln.de/14126.html
http://www.sfb806.de
http://crc806db.uni-koeln.de